Saturday, September 4, 2010

Random Musings #4

   O.K., O.K. to those who are reminding me that I am behind in my blog entries. My roles with ToastMasters,  volunteering and church reader duties have all carved a bigger slice of my time.  Plus, this chair is mighty uncomfortable to sit too long. So,  I'll just transform several topics into a fourth installment of Random Musings:



  To address this wretched chair issue, next weekend Kev & I will be going curb crawling. The bulk refuse collection is next week (I've written about this before  Trash and Treasures 3-05-09   ) and we hope someone is tossing out a happy orphan.

Calla lillies-Enemy of the State
  Once again taking the risk of sounding like my grandmother, I offer a weather/garden report.  Spring began on the first of this month (as all seasons do in OZ) and it is with a bit of  regret.  We had only half of the expected rainfall in winter and that is about the only time it rains around here.  My garden is more substantial this year than last and I prefer it to thrive not just barely survive.

  On a recent trip south, I was delighted to see those elegant mainstays of weddings and funerals growing wild all over. Gorgeous Calla Lillies.  Found out later that they are officially declared by the state to be "Noxious Weeds".  Calla = kudzu?  I think not. 


   A couple of word pronunciations that have cracked me up recently.  There was a sports kun-TRAV-a-see  in the news as well as two ESS-ka-peez from Hakea.  Why not controversy and escapees?


drying mushrooms

Went to my favorite place for a produce/cultural fix this morning, the Canning Vale Markets. (see Canning Vale Market, 8-08-09)  I and a young Asian woman with a baby strapped to her back were admiring a peck of small, white button mushrooms. They looked good. The price was right. But there were too many.  So we split the price and the "mushies".  Still too many, actually.  So I have experimented with pickling a few.  Then I strung some up like Christmas lights and put out on the clothesline to dry. It'll take about two days (will have to bring them inside overnight) and then the leathery mushrooms get baked  to kill off any remnant bacterium.  The odd-looking but flavor packed fungi will hold for six months.  Freezing is also an option, but Kev is already looking through cookbooks so I'll have to act fast.

   O.K.  My backside and legs need a break.  I'll be back...soon...I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment