Saturday, September 4, 2010

One Day in Pompeii

Pompeii Exhibition? Where?
   I have been a volunteer for almost as long as I can remember.  I was a Teen Volunteer growing up in Oak Park, Michigan even before I was a teenager. And rare is the place I have lived since that I have not raised my hand for some sort of duty. I couldn't tell you why I volunteer, I just do. It's just part of my fabric.  I don't always choose long term volunteer assignments. In fact, the short-term, event-based opportunities are the ones I pick most often.  I don't have as much free time to give and I must admit that I get annoyed with volunteers who have agendas other than service to the community ["What's in it for me? Free tickets? I want them now."] and my impatience eventually starts to leak. It's good to know one's limits.
Vesuvius victim
   I was very interested to hear that the WA Museum was getting in an exhibition about Pompeii.  Ha! My high school Latin has come in handy.  I know about Pompeii and like that it is in Perth for a few months bridging a gap between Melbourne and Singapore stops.  The back end of the planet doesn't always get the cool stuff. And this is cool stuff.  The tickets are a bit pricey, $20 while the rest of the museum is free, and the special exhibition space is  a bit crowded, but these 2000 year old artifacts are amazingly well preserved and well displayed. Kev used my free ticket last night and gives the exhibition presentation  two thumbs up. An incredible 3-D movie explains that fateful day in August to those who are unaware of its story. There is a bit of every facet of everyday life presented. My favorite to point out to little kids is the 2000 year old loaf of bread ["If you get to taste it, let me know what it's like"]   and  the vivid colors of the frescoes remain so on the walls appearing at the back of the show room.
Les & Charlotte showing off souvenirs
    The souvenirs are pretty cool,too.  Adult size metal helmets, "antique" pottery , gladiator games, jewelry, Italian olives, WA olive oil (?!) and the creme de la creme: a functional catapult pencil sharpener. I have one.
    Usually an exhibit has a planning and preparation schedule of 18 months. As this was a last minute opportunity for Perth, only four months was available to get things ready. The Volunteer Coordinator, Les, is a good guy and a very lucky man.   His core work force consists of "professional volunteers"- folks who are always pleasant, courteous, engaging and show up for extra shifts.  People who are content to squeeze in a four month commitment because they are asked.  We are but a week away from the end of the  show and, predictably, there is a noticeable attrition rate in body count. But the bodies that are there really count.  Tomorrow is my last shift and the volunteer party is next week.  
     The Art Gallery next door wants to capitalize on this warmed-up, free work force for a special exhibition of theirs coming next month. Peggy Guggenheim's Venetian estate is loaning the A.G. many of its incredible works of art for a three month exhibition.  Expect to see many of the same smiling faces.
   

2 comments:

  1. I NEED a catapault pencil sharpener!!

    --S.S.D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comments from readers:

    Wow - how interesting. I took a lot of Latin in high school and this would be something to see. DM

    ReplyDelete