Friday, September 24, 2010

Getting Ready for the Show









Stewards at Work
More fussy entrants
   At this time of year, who isn't singing "Our state fair is the best state fair...don't miss it , don't even be late."  And such would be the case here in Perth, although it is called the Perth Royal Show.  It's a very busy place at the moment as everyone from vendors to show contestants scramble to get set up by Saturday morning.


Jaw Dropping Jelly-so clear!
   I couldn't tell you why my nerves were vibrating as I brought in my entries. But I was not the only entrant biting my nails, fussing about the handling of each entry, wiping away crumbs from baked goods or fingerprints from jars.  This must be the toughest day for the stewards.  So many nervous nellies coming in and fretting endlessly.  The least nervous of the bunch seemed to be the kids entering their baked creations in the Junior Division. The little oddballs actually looked excited.

      One consolation to this whole process is getting a close-up look at other entries. "She entered that?"  "Oh, that is a nice touch" "How did he get that Quince Strawberry Jelly soooo clear? And how did he keep his family from digging into it?"  The stewards and the 35-year veteran of competition was impressed by the clarity of this year's jelly.
                                                  So as everyone scrambles to get set-up (and I to work!) Watch this space for the finale.

2 comments:

  1. Comments from readers:
    Getting Ready for the Show
    Oh, Hilary, I wish I was there to see all of this. My mom had trouble mastering jam but once she got it, she could make beautiful stuff and we never ever ate store brought. Her speciality was red currant and it was beautiful and we would hold it up to the light as it was so clear and lovely.
    Now here is a funny jam story. My old boss's wife lived in Bexley and their street had those nice dividers in the middle of the street and they were planted with very good crab apple trees. She was a good ole Virginia gal who really knows lots of interesting things. So she would go out and pick the crab apples and make gorgeous jam for Christmas gifts. Well, David Madison, who was the mayor for a hundred years ordered the trees to be radically trimmed one year and she wrote him a furious letter because he had taken her crop. She also made wine jelly which was really interesting. It is not really a jelly but more like a jello that she served in a little tiny parfait glass. Very southern.
    -DM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comments from readers:

    oh the thrill of it all . . .

    I could have taste tested the quince jelly, in the interest of royal show contestants
    I would have put my life/health on the line.

    Big of me, right? -SR

    ReplyDelete