Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Perth Royal Show

I really like State Fairs. City slicker that I am, Fairs still appeal to me in a big way. And the Western Australia equivalent is the Perth Royal Show held at the end of every winter in September. It's smaller than the Ohio State Fair- after all, as huge as this state is, it only has a hair over two million inhabitants- but contains many of the requisite features.

The train drops attendees off in full view of the parade grounds where equestrian events are held. Dog handling competitions are also held here. There is a Heritage Trail full of antique equipment of all kinds: milking machinery, wood turning, wool combing & cleaning and the forebear of Australia Post-the Electric Western Australia Telegraph. Antique men demonstrated how Morse Code was used to get messages to people in the hinterlands. I dispatched a few myself.
Of course, there are the cattle, sheep and exotic animal barns. A petting zoo for the kids (so why is there a huge Brahman bull in there? Huge, he was.) I skip the rides (and who has $15 per ride to spare? The newest ride costs $20 for 2½ minutes worth of thrill. No thanks.) and the commercial buildings (uber-crowded and counterproductive to covering the grounds before I go on duty. I did, however, sample some fruit ports at a stand near the door.) Show bags- plastic bags filled with candy, games, sports stuff, girly stuff, guy stuff, dairy stuff, school stuff, you get the picture-are an excellent way to unload spare money. Just ask any parent with a formerly fat wallet. I got only one, the Follow The Yellow Brick Road bag. It contained a carrot, two apples, a tangerine along with a map and passport to collect more freebies in various buildings.
I ate lunch while watching the Grand Champion and Reserve Champion judging. Was very amused when the judges called for one last promenade of entries, a steer just flopped himself on the ground instead. (What, am I a show pony?) The light brown one in the right-hand pix was Grand Champion, the white next to him was Reserve Champion. Universities are allowed to show their animals.
My ticket was courtesy of the Country Women's Association, so off to volunteer I go. The CWA runs a tearoom on the grounds. An excellent place to escape the maddening crowds and have an inexpensive cup of tea and a plate of biscuits (cookies). The view out the window is impressive. People return year after year to our little haven. I worked the room last year and knew too many CWA'ers make Anzac biscuits (oatmeal cookies)-variety on the plate is difficult to achieve that way. So I made thumbprint cookies (filled with my homemade strawberry jam), lemon sugar cookies and gingerbread cookies both cut out into shapes and decorated with icing or maraschino cherry bits. What is not to like about a bunny with red eyes or a gingerbread kangaroo, I ask you?

You were about to ask of my canned tomatoes entered into the Cookery competition. That is my next blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment