Sunday, September 20, 2009

A night at the races

Last night we went to the races. The greyhound dog races. Like the kind you see in tourism ads for the state of Florida. Not the kind of place I would normally be hanging out. Nor am I offering a treatise upon the subject. But the social club at Kev's work makes an annual trek to the greyhound track every September.


For the seafood buffet. The dogs are just an aside.


I avoid all-you-can-eat places because invariably that is exactly what I do. And after the last mussel I ate several years ago sent me to the hospital, I avoid seafood as well. But its an outing with people I like and a new experience. And an eye-popping dessert table. Oh dear. Quite the hodge podge of people here. The 20-somethings came totally vamped up. The 30-somethings came with kiddies in tow (the track touts its family atmosphere). Everyone came hungry. Did people notice the band? They played both kinds of music--country and western in between races. There was actually a gaming table, just one, with an even-odds game called Crown & Anchor. Don't ask me, I don't gamble. No bookies. A few tote windows. The requisite TV monitors. Most replaying dog races. One with a nearby horse race. The last with the movie Naked Gun 33-1/3, The Last Insult playing on it. Sounds a little more frenetic than it was. Pretty laid back, I thought.


Went out to trackside for one of the races. No thundering hooves from large beasts. No animal smells. The quiet, swift flash of whippet thin dogs whizzing past. The only smell was from the wet, white sand they ran on.
Interesting. And yes, I ate too much. Desserts


1 comment:

  1. Did I forget to mention that the (mechanical) bunny the dogs chase had the requisite fuzzy, white tail and ears? It was also wearing an OSHA approved, safety-orange vest.

    ReplyDelete