Monday, September 14, 2009

Koala Kiropractic

I don't want to give my gentle readers the wrong impression of Perth. It is a thoroughly modern, cosmopolitan city that fits into the universe just as well as Sydney or Melbourne do. The Indian Ocean beckons surfers & whale watchers and sends a cooling breeze to the concrete jungle that is the Central Business District (downtown). OK, 20 minutes outside of the metro area will see the famous/infamous sunburnt red dirt collecting on your shoes and car tires, but that's practically the bush. We're The City.

So imagine my surprise recently when I dragged my aching frame to the closest chiropractic clinic nearest my CBD office. Dr J. Gilmore, Chiropractic care for Adults & Children. His daughter, Pamela Hellemons, Chiropractic care for Adults & Animals. What? Mooo? Never heard of such a thing, and I know that nothing bigger than a kitten can fit into the incredibly tiny elevator up to the fifth floor. Turns out, Pam is my bone-cracker. Prefers that hands-on, Hong Kong movie style of adjustments as opposed to the less aggressive mini-thumping Activator Dr Skaates uses. I didn't have the nerve to ask about animal chiropractic until the second visit.

Apparently, people really prefer their show/race horses to have spinal harmony. Fido, Spot and Alexander The Great II frequently get adjustments before big dog shows. Who knew? Is it covered by pet health insurance? Where does one get trained for that? Actually, a quick check of the internet shows that quite a few people crack horses into equine equilibrium. Pam tells me that horses respond readily to adjustments...and fall out of adjustment almost as fast, as well. She told of an incident at AQWA-a marine park at the ocean's edge- about ten years ago. A shark was starting to swim rather sideways. The staff (heavily) sedated it and a chiropractor went in to set it right. Put that on your resume.
Cheeky customer that I am asked if she could adjust kangaroo, koalas or the everyday wombat. Hasn't yet, but is confident in getting the job done should the occasion arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment