Monday, May 4, 2009

On the U.S.-Canadian border

Oh, sometimes an easy question does not have an easy answer.



My parents would ask, "Do you tell people you are of Croatian or German heritage?" That depends. Are they asking about my last name? Croatian. Are they asking about last night's supper of cabbage (with caraway seeds) and potatoes (with caraway seeds), sauerkraut (with caraway seeds) and stollen (no caraway)? Then the answer is German. "Where do you say you're from?" That depends. Lifelong or immediate? I am a Michigander. I live in Ohio.



Now in Australia, people will ask, "Where are you from?" That depends...on a lot. If I say the U.S., I risk a "duh" response. If I say Ohio, I have to assume that this Australian--who has only six states/one territory of his own--will know the difference between Ohio, Iowa & Idaho (which do sound similar to the untrained ear) and the other 47 states they have no particular reason to memorize. And one does occasionally hear the grunts of Aussies being annoyed by that very assumption. I can say Michigan and immediately hold up my hand to demonstrate the easily recognized mitten shape of the state. Again, if they are aware of the geography or topography, it helps. Was the conversation leaning towards accents? The American Midwest...and hope that means something, as well. Sometimes, the answer "Detroit-where all the cars are made" gets a knowing nod in return.



Only one question elicits an answer that sits easily on both of us. "Are you from the U.S. or Canada?" Either the accents don't vary enough in the questioner's ears to distinguish a difference or I sound like Canadians they have heard. They sound hesitant at their lack of cognition. No matter. Each of us, for our own mental comfort, is pleased to say/hear, "I grew up on the U.S.-Canadian border!"

No comments:

Post a Comment