Sunday, May 31, 2015

Adelaide--the Pie Floater

    Many places have special foods closely associated with them.  Cornwall has its pasties, Russia has borscht. Boston boasts about its Baked Beans and one goes to Chicago for real pizza.  Adelaide has the Pie Floater as its culinary crown jewel. Indeed, the National Trust now lists the Pie Floater as a South Australian Heritage Icon.
    The Pie Floater, a classic Aussie meat pie doing some synchronized swimming in a pool of pea soup, can be traced back to the late 1860s and was sold from carts starting in the 1870s. Working men, and more recently after-party revelers, lined up to eat a meal that had everything going for it. Walk the streets today and ask about them.  Everyone in Adelaide will say, "Yeah, Pie Floaters. Just look for the carts."  But street food has fallen out of vogue in the last 140 years. Food has moved indoors. And what cart vendor wants to hang around until 3a.m. to service the inebriated falling out of bars?  This icon is proving to be rather elusive but I was determined to try one before leaving Adelaide. Two options were uncovered and I will report on this local comfort food research.


Mr H's homemade Pie Floater
    The Homemade Pie Floater.  Mr H, a friend of my host, stepped up to the plate (using a sports metaphor here, not a kitchen one) and offered to make us some if we invited him to the party. Deal.  Mr H soaked blue peas in water and baking soda for several hours, rinsed them thoroughly and then boiled the peas in fresh water until soft.  Think Britain's Mushy Peas here.  There was no seasoning save possibly for a hint of salt.  The thick soup was ladled into a deep bowl and a warmed up commercially made meat pie of his choice was carefully placed in the middle. These meat pies are not to be confused with pot pies, which have gravy in them. And I don't blame anyone for not taking the huge effort to wrangle a meat/onion/tomato paste mixture into a pastry crust in an artful way. Pull it out of a packet, I say.  The mildness of the peas and pie suited me well but many might use the word bland.  It certainly was filling.


Vili's Pie Floater
    The Pro--Vili's.   Tucked in the middle of an industrial area is Vili's, but it's location certainly isn't a detractor for fans of the bakery.  Vili's is busy and open 24/7 with customers crossing all age, ethnic and social lines.  Skipping their dazzling desserts, I got to order from a long list of pie possibilities (18!) for my floater. I picked a Hungarian pie. Not shy on the paprika and with the the peas being amply peppered, this did a fair amount of dancing in the mouth.  A lot of people like ketchup--ooops, sorry, I mean tomato sauce--on their pies and Pie Floaters and Vili's obliges in an artful way.  But it looks more like a Pie Drowner than a Floater. I'm not sure why some places put the pie on the bottom with the soup on top (quicker to plate up?) or the instructions that sometimes suggest the pie should be upside down (again, why?)

     I had thought of trying one more Pie Floater to better complete the research.  There are two places in the heart of downtown Adelaide, one on William Street and the other in the Central Markets, that sell pie floaters. But neither was available for this research at the right time and, well, three Pie Floaters in four days is a bit more heroic than I feel.   And it exceeds my annual quota I have decided.  I say go ahead a try one.  When in Rome...

4 comments:

  1. FROM D.D. -

    Wow . . . pie floaters, eh? Sounds like your experience with PFs was similar to mine with Cincinnati chili. For years I'd heard of it and was looking forward to trying it, but when I did, I confess I found it pretty anticlimactic. The taste was not exactly front page news. Like you, though, I really enjoy checking out local dishes, for better or worse . . . . I mean, I definitely stop short of monkey brains and fried bugs and so forth, but I really enjoy "normal" food from different venues and cultures. It's wonderful to get to enjoy this and many other travel adventures vicariously through you, dear girl . . . . you can be my tour guide anytime!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have our comfort foods. We just define 'comfort' differently. Spicy foods offer me little comfort. I imagine fried bugs would be the same.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for putting yourself at risk by eating (more than one!) of these items. About the kindest adjective I can think to apply to them is "colorful". They do not appeal in the least....it is a wonder how they have survived the rise of nobler cuisines...there must be somebody who likes them, though for the life of me I can't imagine why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best pie floaters were from the pie carts. Why upside? So they look like it's floating in a bowl of soup. Check out my website thepiecart.com.au going to update it again late next year.

    ReplyDelete