Monday, January 26, 2015

Vale 6RPH - Information Radio AM990

      On Monday, January 12, 2015, 6RPH ceased local operations. It was much like the death of any other media entity: quick, decisive and with no prior announcement.  Newspapers, radio stations, TV channels don't have prolonged going out of business sales the way retail stores do, they just stop the hemorrhaging  of money by shutting down right away. It works like this: everyone shows up to work as usual, the boss walks in and says "We're closing down because (insert three-word explanation here.)  The story you are writing is your last. Clean your desk out before you leave."  It's been played out rather famously in recent years including that Murdoch rag The World in London and my own elder brother's newspaper in Houston.
    6RPH, and its 17 surviving members of the RPH Australia Network, had a different mission from most radio stations. By charter, it catered to the print handicapped. Not just the vision impaired but those with a physical disability who found it difficult to handle printed matter. Many shows were dedicated to reading the daily and national newspapers, popular magazines and very subject specific printed matter. There was something for almost everyone including the commuters who would listen to the daily paper  while driving into work.  The audience was wide-ranging, it almost defied being put into a demographic pigeonhole--although officially they were categorized as female, 39+, household of four and approaching mid-middle class socioeconomically.
    My radio show, What's On Where, was heard on 6RPH on Thursdays at 6pm with an encore presentation Saturday at 5:15pm.       I miss my show.      It suited this cowboy quite well. Far from a rip-n-read,  WOW was your guide to what is happening in and around Perth that is fun and affordable. My first shows must have been dreadful until I refined the formula that worked: first segment were the Freebie things to do, second segment contained events that would cost a little bit of money but still tons of fun and the third segment was built upon a different theme each week (e.g. school holidays, Christmas, Perth International Arts Festival.) And WOW didn't just tell you where to go, we would send you there, too.  I had developed a rather robust promotion schedule that gave away tickets to the latest events to the rather obscure but worthy of attention in on-air contests. I developed solid relationships with many venues and marketing agencies who kept WOW in the know and me in the occasional media reviewer ticket.
    I MISS MY SHOW.       I have lost my voice.    It kept me connected to this area, its people and its exciting happenings every bit as much as my listeners. I managed the show well.  It hurts to lose it within a mismanaged entity. I have kept WOW social media up but it is just not the same.  I don't know when or where I or What's On Where will reappear on the airwaves but let me take this moment to thank WOW listeners and its wonderful sponsors for the last six+ years.
   Vale 6RPH.
  

5 comments:

  1. What a shame, Hil! Maybe you should relaunch the show as a blog and support it through ads...Sounds like you were filling a need in your community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am more of a performer for this type of presentation. Someone else suggested creating the show on You Tube. I'm not sure where this will all go. But I MISS MY SHOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Reader D.D.-
    Beautiful tribute, Hil, and very informative and interesting as well. Praying for just the right opportunity for you . . . one that will tap into your considerable wit, warmth, far-ranging knowledge base, and formidable people skills . . . stay tuned, girl!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pop Vox

    on 1/31/15
    Hi Hilary. Your programme "What's On Where" was entertaining and informative and a tribute to your media skills and your report of the demise of the amazing "990 6RPH Information Radio (bringing words to life)" sums it up very well. For me, it was like the sudden loss of an old, dear friend. Like you, I too am grieving our station's demise, the connecting with our listeners, the teaming up with others like yourself and the staff who did everything from the menial to the magical just to keep Information Radio on the air. Now it's gone. And I miss my mic too! So let us raise a glass to a wonderful institution built upon the efforts of those who came before us - but to ourselves as well for we also played our part. Keep up the blogging.
    Arnold Baldwin formerly with Tues News
    on Vale 6RPH - Information Radio AM990


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glass raised, Arnold. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete