Friday, March 23, 2012

Writing Postcards When Abroad

    I have a lot in common with elite athletes.  O.K. stop laughing already. World class athletes employ visualization techniques as part of their preparation for competitions.  I use the same methods to imagine things in my life.  I didn't buy my first car until I could see (in my head) images of me in responsible ownership of a vehicle.  I didn't start my small stationery business  until I could dream myself in at least part of the role (hey, too many surprises in starting up a business to catch the entire picture.)  And, I didn't start writing this blog until its mission was a clear as black ink to white cardstock.

    This pretty much how my picture postcards get done when I'm on vacation.  I have a list of people and their addresses as a guide. In fact, I used to make labels of addresses & just peel  each address as needed.  It's like checking it off my list --a perfect way to remember to whom one has written.  But paper sizes are different here, so the addresses weren't plumb with the labels and I don't have a printer to regenerate a regular list that has been X'd throughout.  

   So I went mental.    I mentally wrote the postcards, addressed and mailed them.  Then I mentally crossed names off the list.  I have to tell you the downfall of all this visualization  is  the lack of space between image and reality   and  its lack of memory.  I find myself asking, "Did I write to so-and-so yet?" and  answering, "Sure you did, I saw you do it!"   So not efficient a system.  

   Some loved ones received no postcards and other people received two.  Do not put much stock  into this. If you received no postcards, that means I am always thinking of you.  Feel special because I sent two? Ummmm, more like, I can't imagine writing you.  (heh heh heh. ahem)

   I'm going back to checking off names on lists. A lot less mental gymnastics and happier folks at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment