Saturday, March 26, 2011

Thrift Store Interior Decorating

     There are many who subscribe to the "Thrift Store Chic"  fashion theory when filling our closets and decorating our abodes.  I would be one of them.  But, before you poo-poo the idea of wading through other people's discards because one will only look like a bag lady living in a mini-thrift store, let me tell you how  my house will be transformed from Frat House Frump to Asian Spa.  It is already in the process.
     A year before I moved to Australia, I came in for a reconnaissance visit.  Kev had already been here in Perth for awhile and I needed to check his progress and what Perth had to offer.  Kev is a simple man - no frills, no fuss- and the furnishings in the apartment were obviously from the 'Curb and College Cast-off Collection' catalog. He was hoping I could fill-in the one or two accoutrement  he may have overlooked that would surely complete the living space.  
     Every marathon starts with a first step.    Mine was to the local thrift store, also called Op Shops here.  The thrift stores at first were a disappointment.  They did not have the breadth and quality of goods I was used to back home. But then, I knew where the better stores were back home.  And I am more knowledgeable here now, also.  Anyway, back to our story.  I had nearly broken my neck twice slipping on wet tiles when stepping out of the shower, so the first item was to fulfill  functional and safety requirements.  There was a small table full of rolled and rubber banded towels all in disreputable condition: bleached out splotches, holes, fraying ends, etc.  Hiding amongst them was a very heavy, white, terry cloth thing that I thought would work well as a bath mat. I didn't even open it. Just paid the 50 cents and headed out.
     Turns out that it is a genuine bath mat....with its previous owner's name woven on it.  Shiba Park Hotel.  Kev laughed  but the quality was high and it still works ... if a little frayed now.  Fast forward to this afternoon.  I was in an entirely different thrift store up the road.  On my way to looking for something else, I spotted something interesting in the stationery section.  [Stationery. a serious weakness of mine]   There were a handful of red and blue trimmed Airmail envelopes personalized with a pre-printed  return address.    The Shiba Park Hotel!   Oh look, more Shiba Park business envelopes made from serious cotton rag.  Oh, this hotel in Tokyo does their stationery right.  And who pilfers this many envelopes from a hotel? Perhaps the same person who packs bath mats into their suitcase as well?  
      You know I had to have them.   From here on out I am keeping a sharper eye on the local op shops. Sooner or later, my bedding is going to show up. I am also hoping for a few wall hangings and a tea set for the living room and dining room. My bathroom and office are covered.  Clearly, Fate and Destiny want my house to have a 5-star Asian resort look.  I accept my Fate, however long it takes to materialize.

    

2 comments:

  1. Comments sent to Miss Hilary:

    “ I like the Tokyo Look idea. You will be one of a kind in Perth I would venture to
    say. As you say, it might take some time for all the pieces to fall into place. Perhaps a traveler passing through Japan could keep their eye open for anything that is not likely to show up in opp shops?”
    -AR

    “Q. Asian Spa, why not Cambodian hotel? ha ha”
    -SR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comments sent to Miss Hilary:

    Hi Hilary,

    Loved this post. I could remember when people still smoked and ashtrays were the big walk-aways. I think my folks had a bathmat from some hotel and it was really thick and durable. Wonder how that got there? Also, everyone growing up used to have wooden hangers with hotel logos. Must be why the attached hangers came into play.

    - DM

    ReplyDelete