Sunday, November 7, 2010

Natter on the Line

    Walking home from church this morning, I heard a familiar laugh close by.  Turning to the source, I must admit I was rather surprised.  Kookaburra aren't too numerous in the west (they are an eastern bird) and they aren't big city dwellers generally, but lo, there were Mr & Mrs Kookaburra sitting on a telephone wire.  Nearby was Mr & Mrs Galah, birds with pink heads/chest and soft gray feathers taking up space on another line. On yet another wire leading from an apartment building to the main telephone pole was a third couple, some ringneck parrots, bright green bodies with black heads and a yellow band around their necks--also called Twentyeights because of the sound they make.
    I stood there and watched the goings on...the movement...the noise...the posturing. Was this the start of some aviary rumble? Smaller, less bright, less interesting birds were keeping clear of the area as the three couples squawked on. After a bit, they all dispersed and I continued to walk home.
    I mentioned this scene to my neighbor Keith who promptly confirmed it as a daily morning occurrence he witnesses on his way to work or to buy a newspaper. Ha! Imagine three pairs of birds having their "morning tea" and chat on the phone lines.   I shall now keep an eye out for them on my morning walks...and maybe bring a few biscuits  in case I'm invited to the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment