Saturday, May 8, 2010

What's My Name?

   I have about four blog entries started- long overdue for completion and posting. But every time I start to finish them, I get distracted. Either I'm tired, uncomfortable on the patio chair placed at the computer or just distracted by other things.  With resolve, I will refocus myself by posting the distraction.
    
    Lots of people walk in and out of the courts where I work and the parade of names is very entertaining. [I'll be careful here not to release any sensitive or identifying information. Names might be slightly changed to protect the innocent, guilty and, especially, myself.]There are the usual oddball spellings of common names that too many people think is clever when it actually looks dyslexic or worse. Names like Dryw or Linzee.  There are the very common Australian names: Kylie, Charlene, Dannii (also a candidate for the previous category), Graeme/Graham, Shane and Marie/Maree (both pronounced MAR-ee, not ma-REE).   Don't look for any Britneys (any spelling)  or Tobys , these are strictly American names.
    And while we're on national sounding names, hark unto these British options.  The reverted: Bevan, Desmond, Llewellyn.  The boys-only-no-girls names: Lindsay, Ashley. It's perfectly acceptable to call a red-haired boy "Ginger".  Catch these names whose spelling or hyphenation say "God Save the Queen": Hayball, Arkwright, Spratt, Fearnley-Goodacre, Shallcross, Passmore, Oldacres-Dear.  And one morning I thought we had the cast present of a 1970's British comedy, "Are You Being Served?" when a Humphries and a Slocum appeared.
     We are now seeing an extraordinary amount of Indonesian people-smugglers coming through. Not the top of the pyramid organizers, but the guys who do all the sailing and dirty work. They are at the lowest rungs of Indonesian society.  Some have but one name only: Glus or other one syllable utterance.
     Is it a quirky sense of humor or an ill-considered act of cruelty that would lead a parent to name their kid after a favored fictional character or car?  Aston Martin Smith. Christopher Robin Jones.  Thank you, Mother, for not naming me Rusted-Out Rambler Radowick. 

     And the name that started the musing. I cannot tell myself, much less you, why such a name would capture my imagination. Neither is common but neither is unheard of. The combination is odd.  But the possibilities for Melvin Rex are endless.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment