Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A local tourist

Today, I played tourist.
Look, after 15 months one starts developing a routine, digging ruts into the same path trod on a daily basis, seeing the same things over and over again. I needed to break free and the diversion needed to be cheap...impecunious person that I am. So I picked a random Transperth bus line and hopped on, waiting to see where local public transportation would take me.

Line 34 is hardly a line. This was one of those routes that has inspired more than a few rollercoaster designs. This bus had more turns than a woodworker's lathe and to call some of these roads 'tertiary' is being quite generous. Sweeping up all the strays standing by the familiar logo. But look what I got to see: Canning-it is more than a street of big box businesses. Bentley- it has a library! Penrhos College- say, I've read about them. Como- hold it, that purple building looks familiar, the art nouveau theater and shoreline must be close by. South Perth- more than a shoreline of the Swan, look at all those cute shops and waaaaay too expensive homes. The Perth Zoo- a bus does go here. The Old Mill- an historic site, although I am missing the immediate thrill of this tiny structure by the bridge. The bridge- a view toward Heirisson Island and the Causeway home. A few more twists and turns and we are at the main Esplanade Bus Station. That was interesting!

Of course, you might say that I got on the wrong bus, had absolutely no idea where I was and just rode it to the end of its run. But it doesn't sound as adventurous.

No comments:

Post a Comment