Tuesday, April 14, 2009

April 14

April 14, 2009. Today marks the first anniversary of my arrival here in Australia. So many thoughts rushing through my head, so few rushing to my lips or fingertips.

I guess the disappointments are obvious. The economic boom in Western Australia was bust for me before I even got here. And now that the global economy is a bit weak in the knees, my prospects are no brighter.

I really have enjoyed touring about on weekend or day trips. WA is more than red desert and hopping kangaroo. As Kev always travelled abroad rather than interstate, I'm thinking he has experienced more of WA than his home state of Victoria. I thought the same way for a long time-- old people with kids vacationed up the road or in Florida, I want to go far, far away. Mom would say, "But there is so much here in this country..." and eventually I did go on a drive-about or two in the U.S. It is quite easy to be a tourist in one's own state. Now Kev & I "go walk-about" as often as possible to discover exactly what is at the farthest end of Earth. (Insert shameless plug for blog entries which report my findings ;-p )

I'm also rather glad we live so close Perth's Central Business District. A city slicker like myself wouldn't last very long at a sheep station (ranch) in the outback. Glamorize it in song & poem, but it is still a very solitary existence. I am very glad to have found some rewarding volunteer opportunities. I get to learn about the area and stretch some creative muscle in preparing my radio show, "What's On Where" No pay. It's considered community radio.
A few Aussie phrases creep into the vocabulary, but don't look for any Crocodile Dundee type twangy accent.

Don't know what to expect in my book of tomorrows, I'll just have to wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment