Monday, February 2, 2009

School Days, school days, dear old golden...

Summer is over... for school kids. Today, armed with fresh supplies, new bookpacks and pressed uniforms, they returned to a life of Reading, wRiting and aRithmetic. Public and private schools (and there are a lot of private schools) alike wear uniforms. I find the grand variety of uniforms fascinating. Maybe because I have never had to wear one. I notice that wide brimmed hats are part of uniform, at least at elementary school level. Sun safety lives. Many private schools are called colleges, e.g. Ursula Frayne Catholic College Year 7-12. Classes will now run for 10 weeks, 2 weeks off, 10 weeks of class, 2 weeks off, etc. with the summer break lasting 6 weeks. It is compulsory through Grade 10.

I found out a rather astonishing fact recently. Grammar is not taught in schools as a regular part of the curriculum. Grammar was thought to "stifle creativity" and de-emphasized in the 70s, eliminated in the 90s. This is rather apparent when reading second-tier newspapers and press releases-as I do for my show. The sitting Federal government sees a problem with this policy and will reinstitute grammar as a requirement.
Another crack in the system: enforcing the compulsory attendance. I see Joe quite a bit at the library-it's a hangout for both of us. Joe is healthy, clean, polite and respectful of people & property. And he is illiterate. He is not registered at any school, so no school can be contacted to come pick him up. A stronger authority intervention? Joe cannot function at high school level and I am told by a education professional that WA has no remedial education program.

I think tomorrow I'll check out the kind of stuff kids pack in their lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment